Shockwave Therapy will now be offered @ Principle Four Osteopathy by Osteopath Abbas Din.
To read more about it on our webpage, please click here.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy or acoustic wave therapy is a non-invasive (non-surgical) therapeutic use of high intensity ultrasound waves. These high intensity ultrasound waves are delivered through a special hand piece to help with the treatment of orthopedic problems such as; heel spurs, plantarfasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, elbow pain, hip and knee pain.
Shockwave therapy can be used to help treat:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Tennis / Golfers elbow (epicondylitis)
- Patella Tendinopathy/ Osgood Schlatter Disease
- Hamstring Tendinopathy and Tears
- Achilles Tendinopathy 6. Calcific Tendonitis of the shoulder
- Rotator Cuff tears
- Osteitis Pubis
- Trochanteric Bursitis and Gluteal Tendinopathy
How Does Shockwave Therapy Work?
Shockwave therapy produces a high amplitude wave frequency that results in a resonance effect generated by kinetic energy from the shockwave hand piece. The resonance (or shockwave) penetrates deep into the injured area causing microscopic interstitial and extracellular effects which help stimulate tissue regeneration.
The shockwave resonance created in tissue helps with:
- Increasing dilation of blood vessels to increase blood flow which facilitates healing of the tissue by promoting fibroblasts, collagen organization and help with the removal of inflammation.
- The mechanical stress of shockwaves help stimulate pro-collagen synthesis to increase tendon regeneration and repair.
- Resonance created by the shockwaves help with dispersion of substance P and histamines from the nerves which causes a direct reduction of nerve irritation, which can lead to an immediate decrease in pain.
- The acoustic waves generated by the shockwave hand piece helps break up existing calcifications due to calcium build up as a result of micro-tears or trauma to a tendon.
What does shockwave treatment feel like?
Our osteopaths will pass the shockwave applicator head over the injured area, which may cause some mild discomfort during treatment. Shockwave therapy only takes up 10-15 minutes of treatment time depending on the area and severity of the injury.
How many treatments will I need?
Usually patients require only 3-5 treatments and show an immediate improvement from their first shockwave therapy session. With the second treatment, the pain should further reduce and by the third treatment there should be a significant decrease in pain, which is long lasting. We also help provide our patients with specific strengthening and stretching exercises along with shockwave treatment for excellent long term results.
Appointments and Costs:
Osteopath Abbas Din is available on Mondays and Thursdays to conduct Shockwave Therapy @ Principle Four Osteopathy.
The cost of an Osteopathy consultation with Shockwave therapy is an additional $20 on top of the normal Osteopathy appointment.
To see if Shockwave Therapy can help you with your injuries- contact Dr. Abbas Din at firstname.lastname@example.org or book online for an appointment to see Abbas.
Click here to book online now to see Osteopath Abbas Din