FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT SCREEN MELBOURNE CBD
WHAT IS FMS?
A Functional Movement Screen (FMS) is designed to increase performance by assessing sport or activity specific actions to identify imbalance, asymmetry weaknesses, and restrictions in the body. Our Osteopaths will take you through the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) developed by Physiotherapist Gray Cook and a series of functional capacity tests. Then we design a treatment and training program to improve balance, stability, form, function, strength and endurance to help you reach peak performance.
Our functional movement screen is ideal for people who:
- want to start exercising in the gym or at home, but are unsure where to start and what to focus on. Our FMS screen will identify where you should start with regards to flexibility, mobility, movement patterns and resistance training.
- constantly deal with aches and pains or injuries whilst exercising, but are not sure what to focus on and how to modify what they are doing.
- are returning from an injury and want to take a strategic approach to their recovery and make sure they get the most out of training and exercise.
- Individuals who are training regularly, but want to perform better. Our FMS screen will help improve your current training program to ensure you are being specific in your training approach and exercise selection to get better results.
Mr A was experiencing episodic lower back complaints that was being aggravated by squatting and deadlifting in the gym.
- Identify what is going on with their back
- Develop a strategy to avoid further aggravation of their back
- Develop an exercise program that would allow them to continue training
Our practitioner took a detailed case history and the client then completed the functional movement screen which involved looking at the whole body with respect to movement patterns, what their flexibility, mobility and general capacity were.
Task specific movements were assessed i.e. squat, deadlift and the derivatives of these to assist in identifying where there were opportunities to address technique or modify the current exercises to allow for continued training without aggravation of their complaint.
A targeted exercise program was developed that included addressing any limitations in flexibility, mobility and strength/endurance whilst also adjusting their regular training program to ensure we could maintain current fitness without aggravating their back.
The client modified their training program over a 8 – 12 week period and they were back performing squats and deadlifts without those recurrent back pain episodes they were previously experiencing.
This result came about from a combination of the client being proactive in their self management i.e. committing to the program and attending the clinic for a further 6 strength and conditioning sessions.
WHO WOULD BENEFIT FROM FMS?
- Gym goers and sports people who train regularly and want to increase strength, power, flexibility, speed or endurance.
- Everyone dealing with aches and pains or injuries, who wants to overcome these limitations to move easier and feel better.
- Active people who have been injured and need help to modify their exercise program to get the most out of training.
- Newcomers starting to exercise who want a exercise program created, plus want to be taught good form and technique.
Note: Please wear appropriate exercise clothing and bring your mobile phone with you. We are likely to photograph or video the exercises using your mobile phone.
ACHES, PAINS & INJURIES
Mr B was a fit and active self employed handy man with a number of pre existing musculoskeletal complaints that they generally managed well. They experienced the usual aches and pains associated with a job that was physically demanding.
- Review their current movement and training program to determine if there was any opportunity to further enhance their current approach to ensure they stay fit and healthy in the future.
A detailed case history, review of the individuals movement patterns and current training program was undertaken in the session. This included the functional movement screen and review of current exercises performed in their current program.
The client was prescribed a couple of additional flexibility and mobility exercises to implement into their current daily program to assist in preparing the body to move and recover from their everyday activities and work.
The client was prescribed a separate exercise program that focused on the whole body (Kinetic link training strategies) to add as an adjunct to their conventional training to add variety in their movement patterns and focus on movement training, rather than just muscle training.
FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT SCREEN75 MINUTES
- Individuals with chronic musculoskeletal complaints i.e. overuse injuries, tendinopathies, recurrent musculoskeletal strains and sprains
- Individuals wanting a tailored exercise program to improve movement, wellbeing and performance.
- Individuals playing a specific sport and looking to improve performance and movement.
SO, WHAT’S INVOLVED?
- A discussion on what you would like to take away from the FMS screen, a case history relating to your current and previous musculoskeletal and medical health history.
- Orthopaedic/osteopathic assessment of specific joints, muscles or tendons
- Gait assessment
- Balance testing
- Functional movement screen (assessing the 7 tests as per the FMS screen created by the Functional Movement System
- Movement assessment of fundamental movement patterns i.e. squat, hinge, step up, lunge, push, pull and brace patterns
- Specific capacity, endurance, strength testing relevant to you i.e. grip testing, hang testing, push up capacity etc.
- Summary of the assessment findings and prescription of a program to take home movement program that is tailored towards your goals that is based on the assessment findings
- We will provide you with an email summary of findings, home exercise program that will incorporate photos or videos of the exercises.
OFFERING SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS