OSTEOPATH MELBOURNE CBD
OSTEOPATHY DONE DIFFERENTLY
We help clients get back to doing the things they love, reach optimal health, improve office ergonomics and increase sports performance.
Our Melbourne City osteopaths have delivered over 25,000 treatments for just about every common, complex and chronic condition imaginable.
In pain? Injured? You need a osteopath. If you want to find out the what, why and how to get out of pain and function better or increase strength and fitness, book a consultation with one of our industry leading Melbourne CBD Osteopaths.
What make us different from other Melbourne CBD Osteopaths:
- Our assessments treatments and 1 on 1 coaching have been refined over many years by Osteopaths who have decades of experience, are uni lecturers and hold workshops to teach practising health professionals specialised skills. We hire the best so you get the best!
- We deliver real differential diagnosis which allows us to get to the underlying cause of your condition, followed by results based treatments and functional training designed to move you from pain management to being in control of your health or we can create personalised programs to help you achieve peak performance.
CHOOSE YOUR OSTEOPATH
Is highly experienced in treating:
- Shoulder complaints – impingement, tendinopathies
- Hip and knee complaints
- Individuals with multiple musculoskeletal complaints
- Chronic lower back pain
Has an interest in:
- Sports injuries
- Neck pain
- Acute and chronic tendinopathy
- Hip and knee injuries
- Shoulder pain
Is highly experienced in treating:
- Low back pain including joint sprains and discogenic pain
- Hip pain including joint irritation and tendinopathy
- Knee pain including meniscal pain and patellar pain
Is highly experienced in treating
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Disc injuries with nerve pain
- Tendon injuries e.g tennis elbow, achilles, plantar fascia, etc.
- Sporting injuries
INITIAL CONSULTATION60 MINUTES
- For clients who have not visited Principle Four Osteopathy before or who have not been to the clinic for an osteopathy consultation for some time (>2 years years since your last osteopathy consult).
STANDARD CONSULTATION35 - 40 MINUTES
- For clients with one regional complaint and/or simple musculoskeletal complaint.
- Our standard osteopathy consult will provide adequate time to address your musculoskeletal complaint.
LONG CONSULTATION60 MINUTES
- For clients with one or more regional musculoskeletal complaints and/or complex musculoskeletal complaint.
- Also for those clients who feel they need a bit more time than the standard osteopathy consultation.
Note: Private health claiming is available onsite for all osteopath Melbourne CBD consults. Please consult your private health fund provider to determine your osteopathy rebate for our initial and subsequent osteopathy consultations..
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Step 1:Booking your consult – Once you have booked a consult with one of our osteopaths, you will be sent a confirmation email and a pre consult questionnaire. We want to find out why you have booked to see us and what you would like to get out of your consultation
- Step 2: Assess, Diagnose ad provide symptom relief – Your initial osteopathic consultation will take about 60 minutes in duration and during this consultation we will listen and talk to you about your complaint and what your goals are. We will then take you through a comprehensive assessment and then discuss with you our findings and recommended treatment and management plan. Treatment and management may include manual therapy to provide symptom relief and then a discussion around pain management and symptoms modification strategies. If you require a referral elsewhere, we will discuss this with you and facilitate this.
- Step 3: Improve capacity and performance – Once your symptoms are under control, our goal will be to assist you with building your functional capacity, ability to perform everyday activities without pain and performance. Our osteopaths will work with you to provide you with strategies to do so. This may include exercise and work related assessments and training.
CONDITIONS & OSTEOPATHIC TECHNIQUES
Conditions Our Osteopaths Treat Regularly
- Neck pain and injury
- Lower and upper back pain
- Sciatica and nerve pain
- Headaches / Migraines
- Shoulder, elbow and hand pain
- Hip, knee and foot pain
- Sports injuries
- Pre and post natal care
- Arthritic aches & pains
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Workplace strains & sprains
- Post surgery rehabilitation
Osteopathy Techniques Commonly Adopted By Our Osteopaths
- Soft tissue massage
- Joint mobilisation
- Muscle energy technique (MET)
- High velocity-low amplitude manipulation
- Dry needling
- Rigid and dynamic taping.
- Exercise prescription
- Strength and Conditioning
- Ergonomic and manual handling advice
OSTEOPATH CLINIC MELBOURNE CITY
Our osteopathic clinic is conveniently located in the heart of the Melbourne City CBD at 178 Collins st. We are a short walk from the train at Flinders St and the nearby intersections of Collins and Swanston and Collins and Russell streets, so we are easily accessible via tram, train, a short drive or walk. We can visit your business for ergonomic risk assessments and manual handling risk assessments and training or we can deliver these services online via video call.
You’ll find that our team is extremely approachable, friendly and truly passionate about improving your health and wellbeing. Our goal with every session you have with us is to help you to move more freely in your day-to-day activities with less pain, stress and discomfort. You can learn more about our incredible team of osteopaths on our practitioners page.
If you’re located in Melbourne and have been looking online for an osteopath near me, then look no further! At Principle Four Osteopathy, you’ll meet highly qualified and experienced osteopaths who are dedicated to getting you back to doing the things you love to improve your quality of life. If you have questions please call us on 03 9670 9290.
At Principle Four Osteopathy Melbourne CBD we believe the best osteopath is one who listens, gives you time you need, the attention you deserve, undertakes a thorough clinical assessment and provides you with safe, evidence based treatments and effective management options. The best osteopath for you is usually an osteo who has experience treating your pain or discomfort; they take the time to ask good questions and understand what you want to achieve e.g. reduce pain, improve mobility, increase performance, work comfortably, sleep better or you may just want to get back to doing the things you love.
For more information check out this article about how to choose the best osteopath melbourne cbd.
WHAT MAKES OUR CLINIC DIFFERENT TO ANY OTHER OSTEOPATH, PHYSIOTHERAPIST OR CHIROPRACTIC CLINIC IN MELBOURNE CBD?
We pride ourselves on getting results through a tailored treatment and management plan that suits your specific needs and goals. The Principle Four osteopathy clinic is set up with private osteopathy consulting rooms and a fully functional gym, to enable us to educate and support our clients with active management strategies.
All of our osteopaths are experienced in advanced musculoskeletal assessment, exercise prescription and strength and conditioning. This allows us to offer services such as Functional Movement Screen, Exercise Prescription, Injury Rehabilitation, Strength and Conditioning / CrossFit.
Our osteopaths have undergone years of training at renowned Australian universities including Victoria University and Southern Cross University, as well as many additional qualifications to further their knowledge at highly reputable Australian institutions.
Book an appointment to experience the Principle Four Osteopath difference!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How does osteopathy work?
Osteopathy works by treating the body of any misalignments, weaknesses and imbalances in the musculoskeletal system. Osteopathy treatment is applied on muscles, joints and connective tissue to improve posture, movement, and increase blood flow and aid in lymphatic drainage.
Osteopathy takes a holistic approach to treating your body and causes of pain. It not only focuses on your spine, but all the other areas of your body and how each body part affects one another. This is why osteopathy involves (or requires) a variety of different rehabilitation methods and techniques, including manual therapy, clinical exercise programs, ergonomic assessments, and more. It’s extremely important to meet an osteopath therapist who can take the time to thoroughly assess your issues and concerns, and provide you with a personalised treatment plan that provides the best results for your wellbeing.
At Principle Four Osteopathy in Melbourne CBD, we offer longer consultations than other osteotherapists because we understand that no two people are the same; even if they present the same pain symptoms or discomforts. With our treatment sessions, we assure that you’ll receive highly personalised osteo treatments that work by reducing pain, increasing movement, and creating a better quality of life in the long term.
What conditions can osteopathy treat?
At Principle Four Osteopathy, we provide osteopathy treatments for all areas of the body, and will often involve a comprehensive and holistic treatment program targeting multiple areas of your body for optimal health. Some of the most common areas of the body that our clients come in to see us about include the back, neck, shoulder, hip, knee, migraines and headaches, but osteopaths able to assess and treat most conditions in just about any area of the body.
What techniques do osteopaths use?
Your osteopath will select the most appropriate and effective treatment techniques for your particular pain, injury or condition. Some of the techniques commonly used during an osteopathic consultation may include:
- Soft tissue massage – this may involve direct or indirect treatment of the tight or tender soft tissues. Direct soft tissue massage may involve working into the muscle to relax the tissues, whereas indirect soft tissue technique may involve moving away from the tight/tender spot to help reduce tension and pain. Some of the osteopaths at Principle Four Osteopathy may also apply instrument assisted soft tissue massage (similar to FAKTRor Graston Technique).
- Joint articulation and mobilisation – this involves moving joints through its anatomical range of movement. Sometimes following an injury a joint can become stiff and restricted and gentle joint articulation and mobilisation can help improve their mobility.
- Joint manipulation – high velocity low amplitude techniques are typically commonly known as “joint cracking” “joint cavitation” “popping” the joint.
- Stretching – which can include static, PNF, dynamic application) of the muscles. Practitioners might assist with the stretching or prescribe stretching for the client.
- Taping – such as rigid stability taping or dynamic taping (kinesiotaping, rock taping) to help with support and proprioceptive awareness.
- Dry Needling – in recent times more and more manual therapists (osteopaths, physiotherapists, chiropractors & myotherapists) are training in dry needling techniques. This technique is often used for the treatment of trigger points.
- Exercise Prescription – movement based rehabilitation. More and more osteopaths are now educating and prescribing exercise as part of the treatment and management of their client’s injuries or conditions. This may involve the prescription of movements, strength, endurance, flexibility or balance exercises.
- Ergonomic / Manual Handling Risk Assessment and Training – reviewing and educating on best practice ergonomics and manual handling is another common treatment and management approach by the Osteopath.
Are Osteopaths Doctors?
Australia was one of the first countries in the world to regulate osteopathy. Doctors of Osteopathy have been practised here for over 100 years. All Osteos at Principle Four Osteopathy have completed 5 years at University, be government registered with AHPRA, and they are required to continue their education each year and keep up to date with the latest research and advancements in assessment and treatment techniques.
Osteopathic doctors, also called doctors of osteopathic medicine are doctors who base diagnosis and treatment on the theory that the body’s systems are interconnected. They aim to prevent or treat musculoskeletal conditions through manual medicine, which is a hands-on approach that may include massage, pressure or manipulation of an area of the body.
Osteopath vs Physiotherapist vs Chiropractor: what is the difference?
Most people think a physiotherapist prescribes exercises, a chiropractor cracks spines and joints, and an osteopath sort of does both. It’s important to note that ‘Osteo’, ‘Physio’ & ‘Chiro’ are professions – They’re not treatments or treatment styles. Each profession is qualified to diagnose, manage and prevent musculoskeletal conditions.
If you are trying to decide between an Osteopath, Physiotherapist or Chiropractor the real difference comes from a great practitioner, not a profession. The best practitioners get you moving and feeling better so you can get back to enjoying the things you love. That is exactly what our osteopaths aim to do with each treatment. Help you move better and feel good so you can enjoy life.
How much does an osteopath cost?
We have long consultation times which allow us to hear your story and tailor treatments specific to you and your condition. Private health claiming is available for all osteopathy consults. Please consult your private health fund provider to determine your osteopathy rebate.
$120 – 140 INITIAL consultation | 60min | For clients who have not visited Principle Four Osteopathy before or if you have not been to the clinic for an osteopathy consultation for some time.
$95 STANDARD consultation | 30-40min | For clients with one regional complaint and/or simple musculoskeletal complaint or if you are receiving regular treatment as part of your treatment plan.
$120 LONG consultation | 60min | For clients who want more time to address one or more regional musculoskeletal complaints and/or complex musculoskeletal conditions.
Is osteopathy covered by Medicare?
We may also be able to provide Medicare rebates (through the Medicare Chronic Disease Management Plan). Additionally our osteopaths are registered Workcover and TAC service providers, and we accept all Hicaps Private Health Funds onsite so that you can claim your rebate on the spot for our osteopathy treatments.
OFFERING SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS