OSTEOPATH FOR NECK PAIN MELBOURNE CBD
Neck pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal disorders (*1), with Neck pain being defined as a “pain in the neck with or without pain referred into one or both upper limbs that lasts for at least one day” (*2).
Risk factors for neck pain are similar to those of other musculoskeletal conditions such as genetics, psychopathlogy (eg. Depression, anxiety, poor coping skills), sleeping disorders, smoking and sedentary lifestyle (*2). Physical risk factors that can increase ones risk of developing musculoskeletal aches and pains include awkward postures, static postures, duration, repetition and force.
For those individuals who experience acute or chronic pain, seeing an osteopath at Principle Four Osteopath in Melbourne CBD will allow you to receive a diagnosis and get relief within a few treatments or a couple of weeks.
- Neck pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal complaints
- The majority of neck pain episodes will get better within a few days to a couple of weeks
- Causes of neck pain include muscle strains, joint and ligament sprains and disc injuries
- Common symptoms include pain in the neck and difficulty moving your neck
What to do if your neck pain is not getting better within a couple of days
The vast majority of neck pain episodes will usually improve within a few days. From a symptom point of view this means reduced or resolved neck pain and an improvement in movement of your neck. If your neck pain is not improving or continues to be aggravated by your daily activities, work tasks or postures, then see your osteopath.
Your osteopath will take a detailed case history and perform a thorough medical assessment. The vast majority of neck pain is musculoskeletal in origin and the osteopath will assist by providing manual therapy, education around ergonomics and working postures and home exercises to assist in reducing pain and improving your range of movement.
In some very rare cases, neck pain can be caused by other more serious medical conditions. In this circumstance our osteopath will refer you to a medical practitioner for further review.
CAUSES OF NECK PAIN
The causes of neck pain are many, with the most common being:
- Muscle strain: one can strain their muscle by sitting in an awkward position for too long. This is common when driving, working at the computer or watching tv.
- Whiplash: whiplash from a motor vehicle or sporting accident can result in strains and sprains to the neck joints, ligaments and muscles.
- Joint and ligament strains: repetitive neck movement or being in an awkward position for a long time with movement or no movement at all can result in neck pain. This can be associated with working postures, sporting activities and everyday activities of daily living
- Disc injuries and nerve compression: injuries to the discs and nerves can occur overtime or from an acute episode.
Some people will experience recurring episodes of neck pain that can become chronic and debilitating. If neck pain reoccurs and is not treated effectively and managed properly it could easily result in a long, painful and costly road to recovery.
2. WHAT TO DO
It’s important to accurately diagnose the cause of your neck pain, identify any contributing factors, relieve muscle tension, maintain healthy structural alignment, restore functional movement and strengthen supporting muscles, even after the pain has subsided.
3. GOOD NEWS
The vast majority of neck pain episodes self resolve or show improvement within a couple of days to a week or so.
4. NEXT STEP
Book an osteopathy consultation with one of our industry leading osteos.
INITIAL CONSULTATION60 MINUTES
- For clients who have not visited Principle Four Osteopathy before or who have not been to the clinic for an osteopathy consultation for some time (>2 years years since your last osteopathy consult).
STANDARD CONSULTATION30 - 40 MINUTES
- For clients with one regional complaint and/or simple musculoskeletal complaint.
- Our standard osteopathy consult will provide adequate time to address your musculoskeletal complaint.
LONG CONSULTATION60 MINUTES
- For clients with one or more regional musculoskeletal complaints and/or complex musculoskeletal complaint.
- Also for those clients who feel they need a bit more time than the standard osteopathy consultation.
Note: Private health claiming is available onsite for all osteopathy consults. Please consult your private health fund provider to determine your osteopathy rebate for our initial and subsequent osteopathy consultations..
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Step 1: Booking your consult – Once you have booked a consult with one of our osteopaths, you will be sent a confirmation email and a pre consult questionnaire. We want to find out why you have booked to see us and what you would like to get out of your consultation
- Step 2: Assess, Diagnose ad provide symptom relief – Your initial osteopathic consultation will take about 60 minutes in duration and during this consultation we will listen and talk to you about your complaint and what your goals are. We will then take you through a comprehensive assessment and then discuss with you our findings and recommended treatment and management plan. Treatment and management may include manual therapy to provide symptom relief and then a discussion around pain management and symptoms modification strategies. If you require a referral elsewhere, we will discuss this with you and facilitate this.
- Step 3: Improve capacity and performance – Once your symptoms are under control, our goal will be to assist you with building your functional capacity, ability to perform everyday activities without pain and performance. Our osteopaths will work with you to provide you with strategies to do so. This may include exercise and work related assessments and training.
Can Osteopath Help With Neck Pain
Many people call us and ask, “does osteopathy help neck pain?” And the answer is yes. Our osteopaths may be able to help you with a combination of manual therapy and exercise advice. For those who are experiencing acute neck pain, we will help with pain management and look to restore your normal pain free movements through a variety of manual therapy techniques and exercise prescription.
Osteopath Treatment For Neck Pain
Our osteopaths provide hands on manual therapy, rehab exercises and neck stretches to encourage pain free movement, so that you can get back to doing what you love doing without any discomfort or concern. We give advice on how to reduce aggravation of your complaint and use various hands-on treatments to relieve your neck pain.
Osteopaths seek to assist in restoring your body’s natural function and structure by using a variety of hands-on treatments, as well as exercises, stretches and things you can use at home.
Neck Pain Osteopath
Your osteopath assesses your level of pain and applies the most appropriate neck pain osteopathic treatment for the best result. If your neck pain is severe, our Osteopaths at Principle Four will use very gentle techniques, including neck pain osteopathy massage. These help reduce pain, improve movement, and calm your nervous system, which sends the pain signals to your neck. As your mobility increases and the pain lessens, we use different techniques.
Neck Pain From Awkward Working Posture
If you’re experiencing neck pain whilst working, our osteopaths will provide advice on your workstation ergonomic set up and also provide advice on how to improve movement variation at the workstation and provide you with simple and effective movements and exercises to perform.
Neck Pain From Using Your Mobile Phone Or Tablet
Prolonged use of your iphone or tablet with your neck in an awkward posture may increase your risk of developing neck pain. Your osteopath will provide advice on how to use your iphone and tablet that involves minimising awkward neck postures. They will also be able to provide you with simple stretches and movements to increase movement and reduce tension.
Book An Osteopathy Treatment For Back Pain
If you are suffering from neck pain book a treatment with one of our osteopaths at Principle Four Osteopathy on Collins St Melbourne CBD.
OFFERING SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS