Osteopath Heath Williams of Principle Four Osteopathy has given us his Top 5 Tips For A Better Sleep. We now live in a day and age where we are expected to produce more in every sense and often this comes at the expense of sleep.
Top 5 Tips For A Better Sleep
- Avoid caffeine and food before going to bed. Caffeine can stay in your system for several hours and it acts a stimulant. Whilst there are some people who are non affected by caffeine before bed. If you are having trouble getting too sleep, try cutting out caffeine or food before going to bed.
- Make your sleeping environment an actual sleeping environment. For some people the bedroom is a work environment, a relaxation environment and a workout environment :). Avoid spending time on your mobile phone, iPad, laptop and tv before going to bed. These devices can keep you wired for hours and may disturb your sleep patterns.
- Avoid being too warm in the bedroom. Depending on whether you are a hot or cold blooded individual. Some people who are too warm may find it difficult to go to sleep. Try sleeping only with sheets and use a fan or open a window if needed.
- Select a comfortable pillow. Many people sleep with too many pillows and often ones that aren’t suited to them. Try finding a pillow that provides you with adequate support. I often recommend Dentons pillows to my clients. Others may want to try a feather down pillow.
- Be consistent with your sleeping routine. Try and get to bed at a similar time each night to create a sleep routine. Use the natural light to help you create the sleep cycle and wake you in the morning. For those of you who are having trouble getting to sleep. If you try and force yourself to go to sleep when you aren’t tired, you will only wind yourself up. If you are tired, get up and go and have a Cammomile Tea or read a book until you feel tired.
For those people who are interested in finding out more about sleep, please check out some of the links below.
Sleep Foundation – http://sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need
Principle Four Osteopathy is one of Melbourne City CBD leading Osteopathy clinics. At the clinic we treat a wide range of clients, ranging from the office worker, exercise enthusiast to athlete. We have 3 experienced osteopaths working across both of the clinics.
The Melbourne City CBD clinic is located at 29 Somerset Place (basement), close to the corner of Elizabeth St and Little Bourke in the Melbourne City CBD. Our premises adjoin the Jon Weller Personal Training Studio, a fully-equipped training space which allows clients to combine their osteopathy treatment with exercise tutorials or specific training programs and rehabilitation.
The Docklands clinic is located at 717 Bourke St (Ground Floor), beneath the Channel 9 building near the walkway from Southern Cross Train Station to Etihad Stadium. Our premises adjoin Pilates on Bourke, a fully-equipped pilates and yoga training space which allows clients to combine their osteopathy treatment with exercise tutorials, pilates or specific training programs and rehabilitation.
To speak to an Osteopath or book an appointment at Principle Four Osteopathy, please book online or call 03 9670 9290.