Osteopath Heath Williams of Principle Four Osteopathy is going to give us his Top 5 Tips For Preventing Neck Pain. Neck pain is probably one of the most common reasons why people attend Principle Four Osteopathy. Neck pain can present in many different ways, ranging from a simple muscle strain, joint restriction, wry neck, whiplash to disc injuries.
Top 5 Tips For Preventing Neck Pain
- If your day to day job involves spending a lot of time sitting at the desk and working on the computer. Be sure to get your workstation ergonomics checked. Common causes of neck strain can be as a result of sitting with poor posture, looking a monitor that is too low or too far away, performing work tasks that require you to constantly flex or rotate the neck for extended periods of time. For more information on how to improve your workplace ergonomics, please click here.
- Make sure that your neck is well supported whilst sleeping. Often clients at the clinic will present following an awkward nights sleep. A pillow that provides optimal neck support is important. Osteopath Heath Williams will often recommend a contoured pillow such as the Dentons pillow as it allows for support when sleeping on both back and side.
- Keep active and stretch regularly. Our days are spend being more and more sedentary. As a result of this we will often develop tightness in the neck, shoulders and upper back. Some simple stretches, going for a walk or attending a fitness class such as pilates, gym etc can help keep you active. Click here to read an article on neck stretching in the office environment.
- Be mindful of how you use your neck on a day to day basis. What do I mean by this? When sitting in the car and doing a head check, when turning to someone who calls your name. Move in a controlled manner. Sometimes fast rapid movements from awkward postures can strain the neck.
- Look after your neck. If you feel pain in your neck, get it looked at by your Osteopath, Physiotherapist or GP. The majority of the time your neck pain will often improve over 1-2 weeks. If you are suffering extreme pain, neurological symptoms or suffered trauma to the neck, make sure you have it reviewed.
Osteopath Heath Williams is owner and director of Principle Four Osteopathy. Principle Four Osteopathy is one of Melbourne City CBD and Docklands leading Osteopathy Clinics.
The Melbourne City CBD clinic is located at 29 Somerset Place (basement), close to the corner of Elizabeth St and Little Bourke in the Melbourne City CBD. Our premises adjoin the Jon Weller Personal Training Studio, a fully-equipped training space which allows clients to combine their osteopathy treatment with exercise tutorials or specific training programs and rehabilitation.
The Docklands clinic is located at 717 Bourke St (Ground Floor), beneath the Channel 9 building near the walkway from Southern Cross Train Station to Etihad Stadium. Our premises adjoin Pilates on Bourke, a fully-equipped pilates and yoga training space which allows clients to combine their osteopathy treatment with exercise tutorials, pilates or specific training programs and rehabilitation.
To speak to an Osteopath or book an appointment at Principle Four Osteopathy, please book online or call 03 9670 9290.