Are You Suffering From Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition where the individual typically reports a feeling of shooting pain from the buttock down the leg. Often individuals will report to be suffering from sciatica when they also report to be suffering from a lower back complaint. When it comes to pain down the leg and causes, there are a variety of different structures that can cause this and it is suggested that you consult with your osteopath or GP to determine the cause.
If you are suffering from saddle parathesia, foot drop or loss of control of your bladder, please go directly to the emergency department for further evaluation.
Common Signs and Symptoms:
- Shooting pain travelling down the back of the leg from the buttock to foot.
- Possible lower back pain
Treatment and management can include:
- Manual therapy such as soft tissue massage, joint mobilisation, taping and dry needling.
- Exercise prescription and rehabilitation exercises.
How Can An Osteopath At Principle Four Osteopathy Help You?
- Your Osteopath will take you through a detailed case history and assessment to help identify the cause of your injury and give you a diagnosis.
- Your Osteopath will provide you with a treatment and management plan that is appropriate for the injury or condition.
- This also includes listening to your goals as a client and ensuring that the treatment and management plan is discussed with you and focused towards you achieving these goals.
- In some cases your Osteopath may be required to refer for further assessment and investigation and this may be with one of our Trusted Professional Network of practitioners.
- Your Osteopath may provide hands on Osteopathy or provide you with an exercise prescription / rehabilitation program.
- Your Osteopath will provide you with a treatment and management program that educates and shows you how to better manage your condition through stretching, mobility and strengthening where appropriate.
To find out more about how to better treat and manage your back or neck pain, please call 03 9670 9290 or book an appointment online to see one of our Osteopaths at Principle Four Osteopathy.